An announcement for our Canadian friends today with the release of the shortlist for the 2017 Sunburst Awards.
The Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is an award to recognize exceptional writing in three categories: adult, young adult and short story. The awards are presented annually to a winner in each of the categories. And yes, they do have to be Canadian!
The awards are named after Phyllis Gotlieb’s debut novel, Gotlieb being one of the celebrated luminaries of Canadian SFF literature.
The awards come with a cash prize of $1000 for each of the adult and young adult category winners, and a $500 prize for the short story.
We wish each of the nominees luck in this year’s awards and without further ado, here are those nominated works:
- Spells of Blood and Kin – Claire Humphrey
- The Witches of New York – Ami McKay
- Sleeping Giants – Sylvain Neuvel
- Necessity – Jo Walton
- Last Year – Robert Charles Wilson
Young Adult Fiction
- Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard – Jonathan Auxier
- Worlds of Ink and Shadow – Lena Coakley
- The Inn Between – Marina Cohen
- Julia Vanishes – Catherine Egan
- The Skids – Ian Donald Keeling
- La Corriveau – K.T. Bryski (Strange Horizons)
- “The Dog and the Sleepwalker” – James Alan Gardner (Strangers Among Us)
- “Caro in Carno” – Helen Marshall (The Mammoth Book of Cthulhu)
- “The Men from Narrow Houses” – A.C. Wise (Liminal Stories)
- “The Sailing of the Henry Charles Morgan in Six Pieces of Scrimshaw (1841)” – A.C. Wise (The Dark)