The world famous Nebula Awards are perhaps the most prestigious of Science Fiction awards on the planet.
The inaugural winner of the Best Novel award, back in 1966, was none other than Frank Herbert’s Dune. Some of the notable winners since include some absolute masters of the genre. Isaac Asimov, Ursula Le Guin, Arthur C. Clarke, the list of Best Novel winners is a who’s who of Science Fiction in the last 50 years.
This year’s Best Novel shortlist is as follows.
- All the Birds in the Sky – Charlie Jane Anders
- Borderline – Mishell Baker
- The Obelisk Gate – N.K. Jemisin
- Ninefox Gambit – Yoon Ha Lee
- Everfair – Nisi Shawl
What do you think of this years list? Have you read an outstanding book that should have made the cut?
Of course, the Nebula Awards are more than just the Best Novel award so the full list of award nominees is below.
- Runtime – S.B. Divya
- The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe – Kij Johnson
- The Ballad of Black Tom – Victor LaValle
- Every Heart a Doorway – Seanan McGuire
- “The Liar” – John P. Murphy (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction)
- A Taste of Honey – Kai Ashante Wilson
- “The Long Fall Up” – William Ledbetter (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction)
- “Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea” – Sarah Pinsker (Lightspeed)
- “Blood Grains Speak Through Memories” – Jason Sanford (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)
- “The Orangery” – Bonnie Jo Stufflebeam (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)
- The Jewel and Her Lapidary – Fran Wilde
- “You’ll Surely Drown Here If You Stay” – Alyssa Wong (Uncanny)
- “Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies” – Brooke Bolander (Uncanny)
- “Seasons of Glass and Iron” – Amal El-Mohtar (The Starlit Wood)
- “Sabbath Wine” – Barbara Krasnoff (Clockwork Phoenix 5)
- “Things With Beards” – Sam J. Miller (Clarkesworld)
- “This Is Not a Wardrobe Door” – A. Merc Rustad (Fireside Magazine)
- “A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers” – Alyssa Wong (Tor.com)
- “Welcome to the Medical Clinic at the Interplanetary Relay Station│Hours Since the Last Patient Death: 0” – Caroline M. Yoachim (Lightspeed)
Norton – (Young Adult Fiction)
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon – Kelly Barnhill
- The Star-Touched Queen – Roshani Chokshi
- The Lie Tree – Frances Hardinge
- Arabella of Mars – David D. Levine
- Railhead – Philip Reeve
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies – Lindsay Ribar
- The Evil Wizard Smallbone – Delia Sherman